Make your own 'calm down' glitter jar
Making a glitter jar with your child is a fun, simple project to do together. The end result is something that can help calm them down during emotional times.
Encourage your child to read the list of equipment and instructions aloud to you.
What you’ll need:
- A plastic jar or bottle, or a glass jar, depending on the age of your child
- A jug of warm water
- Glitter glue, whatever colour you like
- Biodegradable glitter, whatever colour you like
- Food colouring, whatever colour you like
- Hand soap or baby oil
What to do:
- Squeeze the glitter glue into the bottom of the jar, so the jar is about half full
- Add around 2 to 3 tablespoons of glitter
- Pour in the warm water, leaving some space at the top so that everything can move around
- Add 3 drops of food colouring and 8 squirts of hand soap or a tablespoon of baby oil
- Put the lid on and shake it – if you need to add more glitter or glue here you can do
- Make sure the lid is screwed on very tightly – you can even glue it in place if you want
Once you’ve secured the top of the jar or bottle, it’s time to explain to your child what it all means!
When the bottle or jar is shaken, the glitter and water will swirl around. This is like our thoughts when we’re upset or angry – our thoughts are swirling around and we often aren’t able to think clearly.
But watch as the glitter slowly settles at the bottom of the jar once again and everything becomes still and calm again, and you can see through the water clearly once more.
Every time your thoughts are swirling around, you can shake the jar and watch as the glitter slowly settles and everything calms down – and the same will happen for your thoughts.