One World recipes
Planning to cook a recipe with your children is a great way to help with their reading and writing skills. Choose a recipe together and get them to write a shopping list, ticking the items off when you have found them. Weighing out ingredients and following instructions are all good ways to boost literacy skills – and ending up with a tasty meal!
Chicken paella, from Spain
- 1 x 500g pack chicken thighs (remove skin before cooking)
- 1 x 500g pack basmati rice
- 1 pack reduced-salt chicken stock cubes
- 1 onion
- 1.2kg frozen mixed veg
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Cook the chicken according to the instructions.
- Heat 1tbsp cooking oil in a deep non-stick frying pan and soften the onion for 5 mins but don't let it brown.
- Add 300g basmati rice and stir until it's coated by the oil, then add 1 litre of reduced-salt chicken stock, the cooked chopped chicken and frozen mixed veg.
- Bring to the boil then gently simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender and all the stock is absorbed.
Latkes, from Hungary
Makes 12 or so 3-inch pancakes
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tbsps finely chopped onion, or 1 clove grated garlic or 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tbsps plain flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 4 medium (2 1/2 pounds) baking potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- Serve with cottage cheese or apple sauce
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites; onion, garlic or chives: flour; salt and pepper.
- Grate the potatoes and put them in a colander that has a bowl underneath. Let them drain for a few minutes and then press down on them to squeeze out excess moisture. Add the grated potatoes to the egg mixture, combining well.
- Drop 3-4 tbsps. of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart to make 12 pancakes. Flatten them into 3-inch rounds and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn the latkes over and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until they're brown and crisp on both sides.
- Enjoy them sweet with apple sauce, or savoury with cottage cheese.